elt 525T - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #1

Default elt 525T

AV123's 525T is a slender 37.8 inch tower with two 5.25 doped paper-cone woofers and a soft-dome tweeter with oversized surrrounds, finished in a choice of real rosewood or cherry veneers which look superb! Shipped double-boxed, the speakers were securely enclosed with ample foam, packed two to a box that weighed in at 78 lbs. The provided heavy plinths are secured to the towers via 4 machine screws and spikes are also included to decouple the speakers from the floor. Depth is just over 10 inches with grilles on and width is 6 inches without the plinth (plinth depth=12 width=8 inches.) They're also front ported so they can be placed closer to a wall if space is a consideration.

Positioning the 525T's 14 inches from the front wall and 6 feet apart revealed a surprising quality and quantity of well-defined bass when run full-range. To fill in the deepest bass I set the 525T's to small and my Denon 75 wpc. Dolby Digital receiver to a 60 Hz crossover point and my Boston Acoustics VR-500 subwoofer crossover to blend in with the mains. Sensitivity is rated at 87 dB and impedance is 8 Ohms nominal.

I found that right out of the box that these AV123 towers were well-balanced with slightly forward upper mids and nicely detailed highs which added quite a lively top end to the sound and this without even a hint of harshness or glare commonly found in budget speakers. Lower mids were full sounding without imparting any huskiness or bass overhang to vocals and other instruments such as keyboards or guitar. I listen to a lot of classic and smooth jazz as well as "new age" instrumental music, occasionally rocking out with some of my favorites like Mark Knopfler's Steely Dan CD's, and various classical recordings as well.

The mix of capable bass, the warm, well defined lower mids and the sparkly highs made quite a favorable impression on me, speakers that sounded both relaxed and dynamic when they needed to be and easy to listen to for hours and hours at a time. Horns, bowed strings, vocals, drums and guitar all sound true, unhyped and quite refined.

For a speaker with dual 5.25 woofers one may not expect that these would sound a lot bigger than their size would imply but they in fact do fill my average sized living room well and offer great imaging and detail. AV123's speakers are an unqualified value and I recommend them highly to those that want great sound at a budget price for both music and movies.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
av123

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in