Anyone into Old-School home audio gear? - Page 3 - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #21

Default Anyone into Old School home audio gear

This is a company which can afford the best web designers.

And who have they got?

JIVE-acolytes.

Its enough to make one weep.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #22

Why does anyone need an extended SLIDE STOP if they are using the correct technique to charge the weapon?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #23

Send a message via ICQ to Odry

I wont speak for anyone else, but you say that like you assume nobody on "this board" does field work. Im sure thats not how you meant that to sound in your very first post, right?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #24

Default Re: Anyone into Old-School home audio gear?

I love old stuff. Still have old my Yamaha receiver and ADS bookshelf speakers. I found something new that looks retro, the neuhaus labs tube amp. I wanted something with tube sound for my Mac computer, sounds great.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #25

Default Re: Anyone into Old-School home audio gear?

I'm an absolute a/d/s Junkie, older stuff though. if it has a sticky dome tweet i like it. I need to get pics up of my altec score, unfortunately I had to gut them as I did not have room for them and one of 4 woofers were blown. I plan to sell off the horns and drivers.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #26

Good stuff. IPC stands for International Picture Corp btw - Altec, Western Electric, and many others built products for them.

These BIG horn loaded speakers are lots of fun. I have personally used Altec horn loaded speakers in my home theater system for the last 15 years or so. I have a pair of 9846-8A, quite the departure from the normal Altec sound. If you haven't heard a pair of properly set up vintage horn loaded Altecs or JBLs, then you're really missing out.

After years of experimenting with all kinds of amplifiers, I like the way that transformer coupled amplifiers sound with my Altecs. For many years, I ran a pair of McIntosh MC2300s strapped to the Altecs. Big power for sure, but effortless. Now, I use one to power the Altecs and the other in my office system.

"Old school" can be an inexpensive way to have fun. Don't assume that you can't afford any of the good stuff either . . . you may not be looking hard enough.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #27

chad -

NICE score on the Technics gear! I purchased a set of Altec Model 19s in 1996 or so. They came with a HUGE stack of Technics professional gear - the preamp and tuner you have, a parametric EQ, and cassette deck. In addition, I also got a SL1300 MKII turntable and an Altec 400 wpc power amplifier. Finally, the gear was mounted in a rolling Technics professional style rack.

I sold the Technics gear almost immediately before realizing how coveted it was by Technics collectors (wish I still had that rack). I did keep (and repair) the turntable and use it to this day. It would appear that you have a pair of the amps, that was the only thing missing from the set that I had. I think you'll be amazed at what that stuff is worth.

Careful with that PL400 . . . they didn't call 'em "Flame Linear" for nothing - the last one I owned failed at volume, connected the rail voltage to the subwoofers (they survived) and sent DC out the preamp input to the McIntosh MX110 that it was connected to . . . it required extensive repairs.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #28

Years ago I had a reel to reel, the sound from that machine was amazing. Maybe it's the memory but I often wish I still had it. Come to think of it, It might be lying around here somewhere. I will report back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in