Anyone into Old-School home audio gear? - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #1

Default Anyone into Old-School home audio gear?

My pride and joy is my crankin' old system which I use daily. It is pretty minor compared to what most vintage gear collectors have, but it works.

I have an excellent condition pioneer SX-1050 (my 1250 got stolen) for my amp/preamp. I replaced every electrolytic cap in it with new modern stuff, replaced some aging transistors (diff pairs), and replaced the light bulbs with LED's of the original color. It is from the late '70's

Connected to it is my trusty (yet not rusty) old Akai GX-270D-SS which is a 4 channel quarter inch reel to reel from the mid '70's. I bought this thing broken in the early 80's, fixed it and have been using it ever since. It had it's first major meltdown last year - Chad graciously offered his up for parts - luckily I fixed it and life goes on.

I also have a Sony TC-K850ES cassette recorder 3 head 3 motor (with remote control) - probaby mid 80's. It's hard to believe cassettes are vintage and being collected by some people. No - really - people are collecting cassettes now. I rarely use this, only occasionaly to copy a tape to the computer.

Then there are my two turntables currently hooked up to phono 1 and 2 since I gave away my mixer. They are both numark direct drive DJ style - but they work well enough for me.

I also have the first Onkyo CD carousel as well as a nakamichi cartridge style CD changer. I use the onkyo occasionaly. The Nak is doing time on it's side out in the garage.

All of that is connected to some old sealed low efficiency infinity speakers that sound great.

I don't know why I like the old gear, but I do - I crank it every day waiting for something to pop. I listen to the same tapes over and over again. I record new tapes and play them over and over again. It's like an addiction.

In my living room I have a perfectly good Onkyo TX-SR704 w/ 5 seas Loki coax speakers & a PC dedicated to music and movies, but I never touch it - I always get stuck in my old school room.

I really think that the build quality of the old stuff is better than today, but I do not deceive myself into thinking that a 30 year old system sounds better than a comparably priced modern system. It's just more fun with all those knobs and buttons. And it really does sound better if you have fun with it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 12:59 AM   #2

Vintage or 'older' equipment defiantly has an good feeling about it.

Right now I'm using an old Yamaha mixer (70's) on a two channel theater system and it sounds amazing. My favorite amplifier so far on my main system is the H||H Audio V800 which was made in the very early 80s.

I've never been too amazed with vintage speakers, but vintage electronics can sometimes blow you away.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:51 AM   #3

Vintage speakers that blew me away (almost literally)

(yes, I know, the mounting flange is backwards )

Friend of mine got a pair of Altec 1005's and 515 biflex cabs in the spring, needed some help setting them up.

I like the old Altec stuff, though the ratty passive Xovers can go in favor of modern active processing and bi-amping. I'm not usually much into SS receivers, unless it's like a Sansui G-33000 One of the local AK.org members brought one to a BBQ one time, that thing was seriously impressive. 100lbs combined between the receiver and outboard power supply. The pioneer SPEC stuff was pretty cool too.

Oh yeah, and Western Electric equipment pretty much gives me a woody any time. I went to an audio store once that had a pair of WE theater amps that were the owner's...playing through a pair of wooden horns and Altec 15's in Fonken cabs they were heavenly. Of course, so is the price tag

Old 07-29-2008, 03:50 AM   #4

Have you ever heard the A-7?

They aren't bad sounding actually...
Old 07-29-2008, 04:57 AM   #5

I've heard the horns & woofers that the A7 uses in other forms, but I've never heard a pair that were all original. I did get a chance to hear the more tame-looking Model Nineteens, which didn't sound so bad either.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #6

Not sure if I qualify for being "into" vintage gear, but I still love listening to some older DCM QEDs using a NAD 3020. It was probably the first decent system I ever heard. My dad had bought it a couple years before I was born and he and I spent a lot of hours listening to music together. Probably more sentimental than anything else but I love the way that system sounds.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #7

My dad handed me down his Marantz 2230 when I moved out of the house. Only thing wrong with it is a few of the bulbs finally burned out. I hear the 2270 was teh shit, but this one is still fun to crank up in the garage.

I have it attached to some really old Fisher speakers. They were built with plywood and stapled together, and the passive radiator in them deteriorated into a port haha (The surround is gone and the PR cone is resting in the bottom of the cabinet). I also noticed that the "crossover" in the speakers was a single L or C attached to the respective speaker... I'll have to throw up a few pics to show the SQ goodness
Old 08-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autiophile View Post
Not sure if I qualify for being "into" vintage gear, but I still love listening to some older DCM QEDs using a NAD 3020. It was probably the first decent system I ever heard. My dad had bought it a couple years before I was born and he and I spent a lot of hours listening to music together. Probably more sentimental than anything else but I love the way that system sounds.
I had a NAD 3020 when I was in the dorms, and the first year in my apartment...used it as a preamp for a while with the monos before the ARC came along. Great little amp, wasn't the most powerful but it never complained or had a problem And the ability to either use it as a power amp only or pre only was cool, I wish more stuff was built that way.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #9

Haha I had an NAD 304? For a long that got put aside as a phono preamp and now my brother has it on his computer! That rocks.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #10

Sig sais it all vintage ftw!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in