Indoor FM Antenna Placement - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #1

Default Indoor FM Antenna Placement

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for how to "install" an indoor FM antenna. I'm having problems getting a decent signal and don't know if there are some rules of thumb to follow. It probably has more to do with the fact that I live on the terrace level of my apartment building facing the woods, but I was hoping someone might have a trick or two I could use

I'm working with one of those simple single cable antennas that plugs into the back of my Onkyo receiver. Thanks for any help.

Onkyo, Pioneer, Panasonic, Boston Acoustics, Paradigm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #2

Default Re: Indoor FM Antenna Placement

what type of antenna? the stock dipole?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #3

Yea, I did some quick research and I think that's what I have. It's just the single flexible wire that came with the receiver. Maybe like 22 AWG or something?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #4

The dipole will be int he shape of a "T" and will be somewhat directional, you just have a single wire. it's going to be omni.

Trees really are of no worry, however, Foil lined exterior insulation like Celotex, etc can cause issues as can mounting the antenna right on top of a metal stud.

Take a boombox or something and see if your reception degrades significantly inside /vs/ outside on the same station, try to grab one farther away outside and go to approximately the same area inside. Note changes.

Often times an outdoor antenna is all you can do and that sucks. Some go for amplified antennas but forget that they amplify EVERYTHING and the noise that is amplified de-sensitizes the front-end of the tuner. Unfortunately modern gear is simply not built with good tuners. in fact car tuners rock WAY harder (I use an alpine in my shop) The other option is to fins a vintage, recently aligned tuner for cheap, they have a more narrow capture and can help.

If you turn the muting off on the receiver are you getting strange noises between the stations? more than just static? you may have noise issues too.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #5

Yeah , twin line 300 ohm folded dipole. You might need a 300 to 75 ohm balun.

Sometimes you can fit it to the inside of a window and run the feeder back to your receiver.

Even a sliding glass door could work here.

If it is that super important to get good FM. Look around the AC wall unit if you have one, for a gap, to sneak out a feed line to an antenna. <one might take a car mount type modded to the case, ie lip mount type><magnet mount could work here also>

Look at Larson NMO mobile magnet mount.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It's not super important to have good reception, but I've started listening to more classical music lately and thus don't have a large personal collection at all. There are a couple local stations, and I'm just trying to get them to come in clearly.

These radio stations are amazing to listen to though. They actually play about around 15 minutes of uninterrupted music, a couple short ads, then back to the music. It's refreshing to listen to a radio station that actually plays music.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkies View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It's not super important to have good reception, but I've started listening to more classical music lately and thus don't have a large personal collection at all. There are a couple local stations, and I'm just trying to get them to come in clearly.

These radio stations are amazing to listen to though. They actually play about around 15 minutes of uninterrupted music, a couple short ads, then back to the music. It's refreshing to listen to a radio station that actually plays music.
LOL because it's likely public radio.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #8

I've always felt that putting antenna's as close to a window as possible always helped in picking up reception.At least it's always worked for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in