Active home setup - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #1

Default Active home setup

Hello all,

First of all Iíd like to introduce myself on this forum. My name is Erik. Iíve dabbled in home audio for the last few months and I have some questions that I hope you all might be able to answer. Since I have a good amount of experience with car audio installations and active processing for car audio Iím thinking about ways to achieve similar results in adjustability in a home theater situation. So here are a few questions. Thanks in advance:

What types of amps will allow for active processing?

Are there dedicated active crossovers for home audio?

Iím looking to make my own 3 way + sub loudspeakers but I want to be able actively adjust all the crossover settings and such. Similar to the pioneer 880PRS (car audio head unit) except with an extra bandpass for the midbass, is there anything similar to this for home audio use?

Iíve also though about using a dedicated car audio 4 way+ active crossover with a power supply for home use. Is this a bad way to go?

I know Iíve thrown more than a few ideas out there. If anyone cares to chime in I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

EGO
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #2

An active 3-way system w/sub could be a bear to work with. You would first need 7 (8 if stereo subs) amplifier channels.

Then you would two 3-Way (or 1 3-Way Stereo Crossover) with a subwoofer output. Or a 4-Way crossover.

In a car a lot of this stuff comes standard in the headunit. But, there is nothing really in "home" audio to do it. So you have to venture into the pro-audio realm of things.

An analog crossover would work, however they are limited on a lot of the things that you can do. Digital ones, especially reliable good sounding ones, are going to cost you a few bucks.

I am a big fan of the Ashly Protea Stuff. But, that isn't cheap at all. What is your budget for this whole thing?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetama View Post
An active 3-way system w/sub could be a bear to work with. You would first need 7 (8 if stereo subs) amplifier channels.

Then you would two 3-Way (or 1 3-Way Stereo Crossover) with a subwoofer output. Or a 4-Way crossover.

In a car a lot of this stuff comes standard in the headunit. But, there is nothing really in "home" audio to do it. So you have to venture into the pro-audio realm of things.

An analog crossover would work, however they are limited on a lot of the things that you can do. Digital ones, especially reliable good sounding ones, are going to cost you a few bucks.

I am a big fan of the Ashly Protea Stuff. But, that isn't cheap at all. What is your budget for this whole thing?

Hi Joe,

Thank for the response. My budget??? Well I'm no big spender right now but maybe $700-$1000 when all is said and done. That's just for processing and amplification. No worries about the speakers, I've got that handled.

Heres what I'm thinking and why I think this is doable for me. Remember this is just a 2.1 system. Processed actively.

1st thought:

I have tons of car amplifiers that I could use if I just bought a power supply:

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/se-1000-12.shtml

---Mids and tweets:
Cerwin Vega EXL400.4 (4 x 60 @ 4 ohms) (already own)

---Midbass:
Cerwin Vega EXL400.4 (Bridged to midbass) around 100 x 2 (already own)

---Subwoofer:
I'll figure something out for this later But I imagine I would just by a 500w plate amp for parts express or something.

---Processing:
While I would much rather go with a DCX-2496 that may be a little much for me right now both cash wise and technology wise, although I'm sure I could get it. I would plan on using my car audio Coustic XM-7.

I've also got some other car audio crossovers that I could use to make sure that variable crossover points would be possible on all channels.

With this car amplifier/processing setup, i would run all remote wires to a switch where I could turn all on/off at once.

2nd thought:

---Tweets:
a small 2 channel home amp. have yet to find one that really looks good with around 50 x 2 watts.

---Mids and/or midbass:
2 two channel amps. these look nice:

For mids and maybe midbasses (1 amp each midbass bridged): Audiosource AMP100

---Midbass: Art SLA-1

---Processing: ultradrive DCX2496

with this processor I would run stereo with all but the subwoofer.

You can see why I'm leaning towards the 1st option..... It would only cost me around $250 for the power supply, I have everything else. Again, thanks for the help. I think I can definitely make a 4 way system sound good though. I've done it in countless cars so I should have a good chance in a house (fingers crossed). Any input that you can provide with regards to any of the products that I've mentioned would be helpful and appreciated.

Best regards,

EGO

EDIT: forgot to mention that I have a few 30 band car audio EQ's to play with as well.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #4

Just my personal opinion, but I'd sell the car audio gear and use the money to buy pro audio or home audio amps and the DCX 2496.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autiophile View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I'd sell the car audio gear and use the money to buy pro audio or home audio amps and the DCX 2496.
I agree. That power supply is pretty cool but really buying pro audio equipment is going to be better in the long run.

Also, with the Behringer. The project seems to be in a level where the Behringer will work just fine. But, never expect too much from Behringer. That is all I am going to say on that subject.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #6

Thanks for the information and opinions guys. I'm going to give it a go with the power supply. Besides, if I don't like it, I can just sell my amps later. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I'll post pics of my system (s) when I get them up and running.

EGO
Old 09-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
a small 2 channel home amp. have yet to find one that really looks good with around 50 x 2 watts.
I don't know what your definition of that is, but there's a ton of those out there The market is just flooded with high quality power amps if you know where to look - places like Audiogon are crawling with them.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #8

Hi everyone
im looking to purchase a D.I box soon for recording electric and acoustic guitars and I need to know whether to get an active or passive D.I...

what do guys recommend and why?

thanks

-Perry
Old 11-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #9

Hello All,

I am having difficulty locating a jabber server with an active yahoo transport. It seems that all of the servers that once had a yahoo transport no longer have them active. I am assuming there is a reason for this but are there any servers out there that have a reliable secure yahoo transport that is currently active?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #10

Hi everyone. Im new to the forums so first off I just want to say hello. I currently have an Onkyo ST-HR800 HTIB. Ive had it for a few years and its been great. Im looking to upgrade my home theater setup and Im not too sure where to begin. What would be some good options considering that the home theater is mainly used for Blu-Ray and Playstation 3?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in