Diving in to Home Audio - Page 2 - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #11

Default Re: Diving in to Home Audio

Magnepan speakers can have weird impedance loads making them hard for some amplifiers to drive. Most full electrostatics are this way, some will actually destroy amplifiers due to high capacitive loading and low impedance drops. Good news is that Maggies aren't this way. They are much more refined than some of the other older electrostats, but they still offer a 4 ohm nominal load and require a decent amplifier to get the full potential out of them, especially having a 86dB sensitivity. They also aren't going to have much bass performance. Many small bookshelf formats don't either but the magnepans really aren't bass speakers. They will be full and sound balanced and have ample bass for music but with movies or rap syle music they might not enjoy that ultra low frequency. I guess that low frequency doesn't really make any difference since you have that coffee table. Also, they have a rather wide footprint 14.5". I see that you have walk ways on each side of the TV setup having this wide of a speaker might be a problem.

I have nothing against Magnepan however. They are fantastic speakers. The MMG are a steal being only $550 new from the manufacture. They have great sound stage and their imaging is fantastic. Sorry if I seem set against the Magnepans. But, they are going to require a decent amplifier and to be positioned properly.

Overall they are fantastic speakers. I almost baught a pair of MG 1.6 a while back.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #12

I love this picture from their web site.

I guess why change something that works.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetama View Post
Magnepan speakers can have weird impedance loads making them hard for some amplifiers to drive. Most full electrostatics are this way, some will actually destroy amplifiers due to high capacitive loading and low impedance drops. Good news is that Maggies aren't this way. They are much more refined than some of the other older electrostats, but they still offer a 4 ohm nominal load and require a decent amplifier to get the full potential out of them, especially having a 86dB sensitivity. They also aren't going to have much bass performance. Many small bookshelf formats don't either but the magnepans really aren't bass speakers. They will be full and sound balanced and have ample bass for music but with movies or rap syle music they might not enjoy that ultra low frequency. I guess that low frequency doesn't really make any difference since you have that coffee table. Also, they have a rather wide footprint 14.5". I see that you have walk ways on each side of the TV setup having this wide of a speaker might be a problem.

I have nothing against Magnepan however. They are fantastic speakers. The MMG are a steal being only $550 new from the manufacture. They have great sound stage and their imaging is fantastic. Sorry if I seem set against the Magnepans. But, they are going to require a decent amplifier and to be positioned properly.

Overall they are fantastic speakers. I almost baught a pair of MG 1.6 a while back.
I read about how they were quite unique in that they were not subject to impedance rise and asked a lot from traditional amps @ a 4 ohm load. I was also aware that they were not going to give me any bass, that's why I've got that coffee table. I just purchased a 15" JBL GTO to replace the Treo SSi to gain some efficiency and to run the plate amp @ 4 ohms rather than 8 ohms.

The guy with the MMGs has not gotten back with me, so I am still on a search for some quality towers at a good price. I'll update this thread again when I have made a purchase.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #14

You say you are interested in the Maggies partially because of the imaging, but it looks like you are planning to place your speakers only about 4 ft away from one another. That will make imaging difficult for any speaker. If I remember correctly your speakers should be approx as far apart from each other as you are from the TV.

Since that doesn't seem possible I'd just get a decent pair of bookshelf speakers as Joe suggested. I have a pair of Tannoy MX3 slim floorstanding speakers that I found on ebay and they are amazing. They made a MX1 bookshelf that somebody has on ebay for $300 and another person has just the components for the MX2 bookshelf for about $150 if you feel comfortable building boxes and building or buying crossovers. I'm tempted to get those myself for the living room.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #15

Some basic Polk home audio speakers should be fine for just entering HT.

My first HT I went straight to upper level stuff, building $750 pair of monitors and a $700 subwoofer. I went for an old but very nice receiver as I only use it as a preamp really.

I can really notice a difference though between an excellent set of speakers and average. I also had an environment where the nuances in the better speakers could be observed and admired over a set of average speakers.

Anything is better than nothing, doesn't have to be a multi-thousand dollar project for you to enjoy it.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #16

Default Diving in to Home Audio

We enjoy diving and hiking and it seems that Dominica is the perfect place.
Has anyone done the combination and have recommendations on where to stay and what dive operator to use?
Thanks, Sharon in Richmond, VA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in