Diving in to Home Audio - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Diving in to Home Audio

So, I've been in to car audio for 3 years now, but am now discovering the realm of home theater. I just bought a Samsung PN50A450 for $900 and cannot stand listening to the $99 Sony HTIB that we got from Walmart a few years ago.

I just built a box/table for my 15" Treo SSi, 5.5 cubes tuned to 17 hz with a 250 watt plate amp.

Now, on to the receiver and the rest of my 5.1 setup. I'd like to stay under $500 for both if possible. I was looking at Fluance for the towers/center/surrounds and possibly Sherwood or Onkyo for receiver.

http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html
http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RD-61...1914532&sr=1-2

What would you do with a $500 budget? I can build towers and wire stuff up, or I can buy a package of stuff, whatever would be most bang for my buck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #2

Default Re: Diving in to Home Audio

I like the table idea. Except it is going to shake up that Diesel (Budweiser) that you are drinking.

As for the rest of the system. $500 for the entire system is going to be tough. Unless you mean $500 for the receiver and $500 for the speakers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetama View Post
I like the table idea. Except it is going to shake up that Diesel (Budweiser) that you are drinking.

As for the rest of the system. $500 for the entire system is going to be tough. Unless you mean $500 for the receiver and $500 for the speakers.
I guess I could upgrade just my speakers first. What would you recommend for $500?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #4

What are you listening habits? Meaning what are you used to listening to.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:49 PM   #5

Quote:
What are you listening habits? Meaning what are you used to listening to.
40% Sports
35% Movies
25% Music

I was looking at a pair of Magnepan MMG's on craigslist because I really wanted to try them. The guy wants $400 for them now and I was going to try to get them for $300. The only thing is, I am not even sure they will work in my application. You are supposed to have them 1-2 feet off the wall I believe.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #6

Perhaps I would be better off running something like this? The small dots would be tweeters, the large dots either 6.5"s or 8"s mids.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #7

Why so many tweeters?

Do you enjoy having your ears bleed?

Here is going to be my honest opinion of what you should do. For your needs I would get some good bookshelf speakers. Just two of them to start. Because, DIY isn't really that much cheaper. The A||G Audio ECS-1 I built were about $450 with parts and all supplies not including time. And they sound pretty good, but a B&W 685 new retail price is $650. I wouldn't have a lot of pain in the ass if I just would have purchased. But, if you do want to build I can point you in the right direction. Anyway, back to the plot. I would go with two bookshelf speakers and as money becomes avalible in the future add on. Center channel, subwoofer, receiver, etc etc. That is how I built my system and doing it one piece at a time allows for better mixing and matching to design your own sound from the ground up.

If you don't have a problem with used equipment, which if you want to save a buck is GREAT. Check out Audiogon.

For example:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....&/B-W-DM601-S3

Search around see if there is anything you like.
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch...moni&submit=Go

Also, remember as you increase the price from here to $600 or $700 the better and better stuff you are going to get into.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Why so many tweeters?

Do you enjoy having your ears bleed?

Here is going to be my honest opinion of what you should do. For your needs I would get some good bookshelf speakers. Just two of them to start. Because, DIY isn't really that much cheaper. The A||G Audio ECS-1 I built were about $450 with parts and all supplies not including time. And they sound pretty good, but a B&W 685 new retail price is $650. I wouldn't have a lot of pain in the ass if I just would have purchased. But, if you do want to build I can point you in the right direction. Anyway, back to the plot. I would go with two bookshelf speakers and as money becomes avalible in the future add on. Center channel, subwoofer, receiver, etc etc. That is how I built my system and doing it one piece at a time allows for better mixing and matching to design your own sound from the ground up.

If you don't have a problem with used equipment, which if you want to save a buck is GREAT. Check out Audiogon.

For example:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....&/B-W-DM601-S3

Search around see if there is anything you like.
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch...moni&submit=Go

Also, remember as you increase the price from here to $600 or $700 the better and better stuff you are going to get into.
Lol, I just happened to put a bunch of tweeters in there, it was just a quick sketch and I didn't factor in speaker size/number at all.

I can't really work with those prices you have listed. By the time I got done piecing a setup together I would be approaching 2 grand. Any input on the Magnepan MMG's? If I can pick those up in the $250 to $300 range I'm going to get them, but if the guy is firm on the price at $450 I'm gonna keep looking. I browse craigslist a lot, once I familiarize myself with the names of the good brands perhaps I can find some good deals.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #9

Magnepan is good, but I don't know if it is what you are looking for.

For that price if you don't like them you could probably turn around and sell them.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Magnepan is good, but I don't know if it is what you are looking for.

For that price if you don't like them you could probably turn around and sell them.
I think it's hard for me to justify (in my head) purchasing bookshelves that look like other $60 units for $650 when I can purchase unique/new technology like the Mags (to me at least) for the $300-$400 range. In all honesty, I don't believe I'd be able to tell enough of a difference to justify the purchase of a $500 pair of bookshelves over a $200 pair.

Why do you seem to shy away from the Mags? What drew me towards them, besides their unique technology, is that they are supposed to have incredible imaging and soundstage, and I was going to see if I could get away without running rears for surround sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in