Quality goes in... Cabinet Zenith reborn - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

Default Quality goes in... Cabinet Zenith reborn

Hello Everyone, I'm Dan from Oklahoma and I'm a noob to the forum (but not to life ) and I've got a project I'd like to share with everyone. I started this soundbox in December 2011 when I found an old cabinet Zenith Allegro for 20 bucks on Craigs List. After determining the speakers were good and all the knobs free of "crackle" I loaded her in the truck and began my teardown. So far I've: Replaced belt and cartage on turntable. Installed a Pyle pp-999 pre-amp (the onboard preamp was completely out) and hard-wired it to the aux. Turntable is now "satisfactory" next I cleaned, degaussed, cleaned, tore apart, rebuilt, and cleaned again on the 8 track assembly. After all this I finally got a solid speed out of my cartages. As any of you know that have worked on 8 tracks, the foam gum out of old tapes gets EVERYWHERE after so many years. Saddest part is my 50 pc. 8 track collection is now down to about half that. Anyone got a good copy of Dr. Hook? lol
So now my Allegro is mechanically sound and I put it to use as my entertainment center since my flatscreen is wall mounted. The only item I had to put on top of the cabinet was my HTPC. However, once I'd done that, I realized how crappy it looked sitting on top of this beautiful cabinet. So I've opened her up once again, with new intentions. By the end of this weekend I'll have my very own LP/8-Track/AM/FM/HI-FI/Blu-Ray/DVD/CD/WI-FI/HTPC zenith allegro... I'll post step by steps as I go along.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-11-21_18-48-02_889.jpg (89.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-11-21_18-48-16_136.jpg (90.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 387886_2659129450480_1623233346_2360818_999299535_n.jpg (51.1 KB, 1 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
jvc

Looks nice. Haven't seen one of those in many years. The cat has some wild looking eyes though!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #3

Default Day 1

Thanks JVC, the cats doing much better. Too much digital AV lol.
Well I began my installation last night. What I'm starting off with here is a MB tray from an old Acer case, a HD carriage and power supply from an Antec HTPC case. This power supply is unique in that the fan draws in from the AC side and exhaust from the rear. This allows me to contain ALL of my wiring within the cabinet without worrying about dumping a lot of heat back on top of myself. Pics below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-27_21-39-00_669.jpg (78.9 KB, 2 views)

Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

Default Day 1 pt2

Now that I've got everything gathered up, I've got to decide where to put the MB and powersupply. This particular cabinet has TONS of space, however I'm looking to both protect my sound quality from my pc and my pc from the speakers. What I decided with was a side mount MB with with PS and HDs on the "floor" of the cabinet. I couldn't get enough room on the "floor" to mount all three and sill have room to keep a fair distance from the right speaker mag. I did decide after getting this far that I'll also be building a shield wall to go between the HDs and right speakers. So here's where I eneded my night. Didn't get as far as I wanted to but everything takes twice and long and cost twice as much... I'll have more pics and post in the AM!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-27_21-40-08_501.jpg (93.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-27_22-36-41_66.jpg (95.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-27_22-36-47_593.jpg (95.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-27_21-39-26_548.jpg (73.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 03-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #5

Default Day 2

Didn't get as much done last night as I had hoped but I did get the PC up and running. I'm almost done with my cabinet work here so I'll be moving on to the back panel next. I even ran an old lp on my turntable while the pc was running and never skipped a beat. Did of course pic up a low hum from the cabinet vibration but I don't plan on running both at the same time. I do all of my copying to my laptop anyhow. So all systems are go, now to make this thing look pretty...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-28_21-38-14_782.jpg (99.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-03-28_21-38-42_852.jpg (100.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

Default Day 4

Well I got the back panel cut out and fitted to the back of the cabinet. All my fans are hooked up and I've got my external power plug installed. Next will be adding some grills and covers to the fan and PS to cover up my hack job with the sawzaw. Then all I've got left is routing my USB hubs and my Poweswitch/Leds. (got a cool idea for those)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-01_22-23-13_954.jpg (97.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-01_22-23-00_192.jpg (95.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-01_22-23-07_111.jpg (95.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #7

Spam deleted.......

Last edited by jvc; 06-22-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in