So I'm kicking off my first Home Audio DIY! - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #1

Default So I'm kicking off my first Home Audio DIY!

And i'm jumping into it full on, I'm designing and building a 3-way floorstander that is using a pair of Mpyre Audio 65m's per cab and then i'll use a Seas MCA15RCY per cab for midrange, and most likely the Seas 27TDFC for high end duties.

Anyway I'm determined not to make too many compromises other then sticking to reasonable budget and relatively simple cab construction, though they will get adequate bracing.

Anyway the design at this stage is using a 50L woofer section tuned to 35hz, and i'm thinking i'll go with a vented midrange cab but rear ported but i'll probably stuff the port so it's more like an acoustic vent. I plan on having impedance correction Zobel networks and BSC circuits, using most likely 2nd order L-R filters.

I've made up a basic drawing of what I'm after as far as actual outer dimensions, but that is likely to change.

Shot at 2009-08-30

Shot at 2009-08-30

Shot at 2009-08-30

Luke
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 AM   #2

Default Re: So I'm kicking off my first Home Audio DIY!

Very very cool! How far is the port internal opening from the rear wall? I'm looking forward to the build Luke!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #3

Currently it's hard up against it, lol! But this is only a first prototype drawing to get a view of the scale and size i'm looking at. So there'll be a bend added to the port, and there will also be a lot more bracing added, and i'm also considering a double thickness front baffle.

I think as far as driver layout the mid and tweeter i'll move closer together to give me some more flexibility in xover choice, i'm considering scalloping the the tweeter flange. I also think I need to move the woofers down and apart more from a visual point of view.

Oh incase you hadn't figured it out from the dimensions the wall thickness is 25mm (1"=25.4mm) and it will be MDF, I figure with bracing this should give a very solid construction without going overboard. I don't mind them being heavy, but I don't want them ending up two man lifts, lol.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #4

1" MDF is not something I see around in most places. I think 3/4" would be just fine as long as you use a little bracing. Those cabinets are thin so you shouldn't see much resonance anyways.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #5

I'll get it ordered in through this little old hardware shop around the corner, and the guy there can also cut it all to size for me, way more accurate then I ever could with my tools. I got the MDF supplied and all cut to size for my set of Zaph Mini monitors for a whole $12. When he told me the price I had to ask twice I couldn't believe how cheap it was to have it all cut to size. There is another company around here where I would've been looking at $60 probably for the same thing.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #6

Ok so here is what i'm pretty sure will be the final design, i've left the back panel off so you can see the bracing and internal structure better.

The lower chamber is 50-52litres once you take into account space taken by drivers, port, and bracing. The port (35hz tune) shown isn't to length it's just there for reference purposes. the upper midrange chamber won't be as deep as that as there will be another panel in it that reduces the depth to achieve a final volume of about 4.5-5L's and there will be a rear exiting port that will most likely be stuffed to make it like an acoustic vent, I stole the idea from this design, http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/PMS.htm and if it works for him I have no doubts it's a proven technique.

The small chamber at the base of the cab is for xover placement and I can also put some extra weight in the base if I feel it's necessary.

The actual depth of the whole cab once the rear panel is in place will be 35cm and it's 27cm wide, and the construction will be 25mm MDF, and the front edges will be rounded off.

Now I believe the next step is to order my drivers and take some t/s spec measurements free air as well as some FR measurements and then to build the cabs per this design (unless anyone can point out any flaws in the design, please do if you think I've made a big stuff up) and once I have the cabs built mount the drivers and start taking impedance measurements etc... so I can start work on the xover design, as if i'm thinking correctly impedance measurements should be taken with the drivers in there cab rather then free air, or have I got that mixed up?

Thanks again

Luke

Shot at 2009-09-01

Shot at 2009-09-01

Shot at 2009-09-01
Old 09-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #7

Looks good Luke! Hope you've got some wood working skills because I think these have the potential to look VERY nice!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #8

Thanks mate, I'm ok but can get impatient which is what buggers me up normally! But I hope I can do them justice aswell!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #9

OK the latest version, I've been posting over at Diyaudio aswell, and a couple guys were really nice to suggest some design changes and the reasons why, chances are the possible issues they pointed out may not have been an issue or rather my uneducated ears in comparison to some of these guys probably wouldn't have noticed. But since I want to do as good a job as possible with this, I've implemented the changes and I think it will be all for the better.

Shot at 2009-09-10

Shot at 2009-09-10

Shot at 2009-09-10
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #10

Yeah most likely, lots of fun for me lol. I'll probably buy a small one hand trimming router and a small roundover bit, should be able to knock them over in an hour i'm guessing, they don't have to be accurate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in