Tell us...........? - AudioJunkies
Welcome to the AudioJunkies.
AudioJunkies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
jvc

Default Tell us...........?

Tell us what's in your home theater setup.
Mine is in my signature. I will be making a change in the next couple of days. I'm gonna be ordering an SVS PC12-NSD subwoofer: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm I can hardly wait. My JBL has been a good one, but it's 15 yrs. old now, and it's getting tired. Once I get the sub hooked up, I'll be good with my system, for awhile.......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #2

Default Re: Tell us...........?

I don't have much of one yet. I'm gathering a bunch of ideas though. I was into sound systems a lot when I was a teenager, and my interest is picking back up again. I'd like to start investing in a good Bose system.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
jvc

Stay far away from Bose! You can do much better for the same money, or even less. Bose is all marketing. Read this review of Bose: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
There's a reason for the saying: "No good highs, no good lows, it must be Bose".

Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #4

I'm shy to tell you what my home theater is because it is made up of old systems. I'm just starting to upgrade it so I will tell my home theater after I finish upgrading.

Anyway, what kind of sound system would you recommend? I thought Bose is also good before I read the article you posted.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #5
jvc

How much do you want to spend?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

Then I guess I fell for the marketing. Thanks for the heads up.I just thought that there would be a good range with them.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #7

I don't have a home theater system, really. All we have is a TV, a really old one at best. When I say old, I mean 20 years old. It still works though, so I'm not complaining!
Old 07-19-2010, 04:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvc View Post
How much do you want to spend?
I have $300 savings for a sound system. I can save more if you can provide a better sound system with a much higher value. I can wait as long as I will enjoy the sound system that I will buy.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
jvc

You can get this one right now for $329.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3300...sr=1-2-catcorr Onkyo makes good stuff. They have the best HTIBs (Home Theater in a Box), because they give you a real receiver, usually with plenty of inputs. The main thing I have against this system, is that it just has a passive subwoofer.

I like this one much better, since it has a powered subwoofer:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5300...sr=1-1-catcorr
Right now it's $438.98. Knowing Amazon, it could come down more, or it could go up in a couple of days, or even hours. Keep an eye on Amazon to get their best price.

The weak link with any HTIB, even Onkyo's, is the speakers. They can't afford to give you real good speakers, at an HTIB's price point. And speakers are the most important part. They are the "sound" of the system. With the Onkyo HT-S5300 system, it will be easier to upgrade to better speaker and sub, as funds allow.

The speakers I usually recommend with any system, especially when buying parts separately, are these: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm These are very good speakers, and come with one of the best subwoofers you can get, for the money. I have an SVS subwoofer. This is mine: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm My speakers were bought before these SVS came along. If I can ever buy more speakers, they will be SVS' higher end speakers.
Good luck!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:36 AM   #10

I appreciate the links to the speakers and your recommendation. I never had a cone-shaped speaker before. Does this kind of speaker produce sound in all angles?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the AudioJunkies forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in